Secondary Home Insurance
Secondary Home Insurance allows you to protect your waterfront vacation home, pied-à-terre or any other secondary residence you own. As with a main residence, protection is always important and often necessary as there are unique risks to homes that are not occupied for significant portions of the year.
Things to Keep in Mind with a Secondary Home Insurance Policy:
Second Homes Are Typically Riskier
- Secondary houses are often empty, rendering risk higher that a fire will not be put out, a leak will not be stopped, or a burglary will not be timely reported.
- Secluded rural properties may be considered a higher risk due to their isolation from police & fire departments, & emergency supply stores
- Waterfront properties may require separate flood or hurricane insurance
Considerations to Minimize Risk
- Consider the possibility of adding personal property coverage as an endorsement on the insurance policy to help protect the contents of your vacation home
- Consider a personal umbrella policy, which provides greater liability protection